This is “A Home For Flowers (Empty)” from RPG “OMORI”, which is about overcoming trauma, created by OMOCAT.
This is composed by Pedro Silva.
The soundtrack is here.
OMOCAT, the creator of the game, cites “Earthbound” as an influence on this game, but also says that it is influenced by other famous games in Japan, like “Pokemon”, “Legend of Zelda”, etc.
(Interview Note:Japanese only)
This song is played in the house of Basil, who is one of the main character’s friend.
As the story progresses, his house and its surroundings change, and this song has several variations to match each atmosphere.
(I won’t go into details as it would be a spoiler)
- It seems to be common-tone diminished seventh chord.
- It embellish the next chord.
- IV-V-iii-vi, or variants (other TABs include this)
- Very popular chord progression in Japan, called “王道進行”. It means “popular” or “typical”.
- other examples are the following songs.
- Re-Tail – Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- Dogcheck – DELTARUNE Chapter 1
- Melodies Of Life～Final Fantasy – FINAL FANTASY IX
- Phoenix Highway – Freedom Planet 2
- Rainbow Resort – Kirby’s Adventure
- Ripple Field 1 – Kirby’s Dream Land 3
- Grass Land – Kirby’s Epic Yarn
- Apt.102 – Kirby’s Epic Yarn
- Abandoned Beach – Kirby and the Forgotten Land
- Snowfield – La Tale
- Pass On – Limbus Company
- A Home For Flowers (Empty) – OMORI
- Challenge Go Go! – Pocket Card Jockey
- Jazz Racing Jam – Pocket Card Jockey
- Slateport City – Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire
- Route 104 – Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire
- Rustboro City – Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire
- Hearthome City – Pokémon Diamond/Pearl
- Route 203 – Pokémon Diamond/Pearl
- National Park – Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
- Cianwood City – Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
- Route 26 – Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
- Accumula Town – Pokémon Black/White
- Route 2 – Pokémon Black/White
- Lacunosa Town – Pokémon Black/White
- Floccesy Town – Pokémon Black2/White2
- Castelia City – Pokémon Black2/White2
- Professor Kukui’s Theme – Pokémon Sun/Moon
- Thrifty Megamart – Pokémon Sun/Moon
- Battle! (Island Kahuna) – Pokémon Sun/Moon
- Route 10 on Ula’ula Island – Pokémon Sun/Moon
- Battle! (Hop) – Pokémon Sword/Shield
- Wyndon – Pokémon Sword/Shield
- Cobalt Coastlands 1 – Pokémon Legends: Arceus
- Purity of your smile – Ragnarok Online
- Seaside Hill – Sonic Heroes
- Dear My Friend – Sonic Unleashed
- End Of The Summer – Sonic Runners
- Guest Book – Tomodachi Life
- Shop – UNDERTALE
- Oh! One True Love – UNDERTALE
- other examples in minor key are the following songs. (in this case, bVI-bVII-v-i)
- Battle! (Rival) – Pokémon Black2/White2
- The Battle at the Summit! – Pokémon Sun/Moon
- Battle! (Ultra Necrozma) – Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
- Battle! (Bede) – Pokémon Sword/Shield
- Battle! (Arven) – Pokémon Scarlet/Violet
- Battle! (*spoilerAI Professor) – Pokémon Scarlet/Violet
- Magical Snow Day – Sonic Runners
- It appears as a modulation from C major to C minor, a parallel key.
- Desire Drive – 東方神霊廟 ~ Ten Desires.
- Illusionary White Traveler – 東方天空璋 ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons.
- The Great Fantastic Underground Railway Network – 東方虹龍洞 ~ Unconnected Marketeers.